Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Transplant....

I've been in hospital for about 10 days now and so far so good (all toes and fingers are crossed!)

The first few days I was at Peter Mac having some pretty intense radiation treatment.  I was then moved to the Royal Melbourne Hospital to have chemotherapy and I will stay here throughout the transplant process.

I had the transplant today and to be honest it is a bit of an anti-climax. It is really just like having a blood transfusion (no big operations!!)  It is mainly after the transplant that the hard slog starts but I am hoping everything will be ok...

I will be in hospital for the next few weeks while my new marrow grows and starts producing new healthy cells for me :)

Hopefully these pictures will give you a bit of an idea of what it's all about..

Day -6 pre transplant @ Peter Mac

Day -4 pre transplant

My shiny new stem cells (from a spunky 32 year old male in WA)

Me receiving the transplant - 8am Tuesday morning (didn't even have time to do my hair!)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your journey Jac! Thank god for this spunky 32 year old!! Looking great and my fingers and toes are crossed for you as well.
    Love Drisc xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your beautiful Jac! Keep up the smiles, I hope to see you soon looking lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you jacko every1s behind you supporting you all the way! Hopefully its an easier journey for u xo luv emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good Jacko! Thank you for being such an amazing person, it's an honor just knowing you. Thank God for that spunky man in WA and I hope this all goes well for you, looking forward to seeing you're beautiful smile out and about soon xx love Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh you're a beautiful girl Jacq.
    Love your way xxx Dougie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacqui - I have not seen or spoken to you since I came back from my maternity leave, but I have followed your journey via our colleagues - and you are an inspiration! Keep strong! I hope to see you when you are in the HF office next. Laura Moorfield.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jacqui, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings with all of us. It's really wonderful to see that you're staying strong and positive through all your ups and downs, and that you're focusing on your long term future to help you through the short term challenges. Also great to hear about the fantastic support you're getting from your family and friends. The photos are terrific too - you're looking really gorgeous! Best wishes for an excellent outcome from the bone marrow transplant. We'll all be thinking of you and looking forward to seeing you again soon. Take care, Kathy Bell

    ReplyDelete