Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Rollercoaster Ride...

September 24th, 2010 was the day I returned home after my 3 month overseas adventure.  It was also the day my life changed forever.  It was the day I was diagnosed with cancer.  Stage 4, Acute Lymphoblastic Lymphoma to be exact. Aggressive cancer at age 24.  
All I knew about lymphoma was that Delta Goodrem had a certain type and she got through it ok.  And if I had my very own Brian McFadden waiting for me at the end of my treatment, I could do it as well ;)

The support I received when I was diagnosed was overwhelming.  It was so great to know that people were thinking, praying and sending me good wishes.   I heard from people that I haven't spoken to in years. Some people I thought I would never speak to again, I spoke to.  To have everyone's support was incredibly heart warming. 

To say that my illness has only affected my own life would be an understatement.  My family and friends lives were also turned upside-down.  Through everything, the good and the bad, they have been with me every step of the way.  I have never had to go through anything alone.  Not even shaving my head!  And for a woman, that is a very big deal!  Words cannot express how lucky I feel to have them in my life.
  
It’s not important for everyone to know the ins and outs of what treatment I’ve had and what I’ve had to endure so far, because now it is all in the past. Unless you have been touched by cancer and walked in my shoes, it is hard to understand.  All you need to know is that it has been a huge physical and emotional rollercoaster.  If you’re close to me you would have seen me fall, and then get back up again many times. Through blood, sweat and tears I now find myself in remission.            

Although remission technically means I no longer have cancer, it is far from a cure and the chance of relapsing is high, so I will keep on fighting.  I am now facing the ultimate battle... A Bone Marrow Transplant....but that is another story.  


My sister Brooke and I just before the head shaving.


Laura & I getting our heads shaved by the lovely Casey Gist.



  





4 comments:

  1. Love it Jacko, looking forward to following your journey ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack you are so strong and such an inspiration to all. keep strong and keep fihghting. your in my thoughts.

    vangeli xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jacqui, i am happy to hear you are staying strong and are getting better. I hope you follow all your dreams and go back to your studies if you so desire. I wish the best for you and who knows maybe one day we will cross paths again. For now, wishing you love, happiness and a future of good health.
    Janet Gilchrist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jac, thanks so much for sharing this with us. You are truly inspirational and if we could all just get an ounce of your strength and inspriation, we would all be better for it!
    Good luck with the coming times, always thinking of you and keep us up-to-date!
    Lots of love, Erin and Graham xoxo

    ReplyDelete