Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Next Step...

The hardest thing I've had to deal with whilst having cancer is that my life has come to a sudden halt.  It has been put on pause while everyone else's continues to move forward.

When my doctor told me I would need to have a Bone Marrow Transplant I was devastated because I knew what it meant for my short term future. What I wasn't thinking of though was what the transplant would actually give me...a long term future.  Now I am thinking about not what I am losing, but what I am gaining!

A Bone Marrow Transplant is a serious procedure with many risks and side effects. However, I keep being told, I have 'youth on my side' and I am currently as 'fit as a fiddle'.  The most positive thing about a BMT is that my donor isn't losing their life to save mine.  Out of the goodness of their heart they are giving me the greatest gift I could ever be given.

Today I am going into hospital to begin my treatment before the transplant takes place next week.  I didn't know how I would feel at this stage, but I feel calm and relaxed.  Maybe that's because apart from my family, I have the best friends anyone could ever ask for.  They have gone above and beyond what friendship means.  They are truly amazing and I know whatever happens I will always have their love and support and they will always have mine.  Last night they gave me a special dvd with photos, videos and quotes to take into hospital, to look at when I am down.  Here is my favourite quote that not only applies to me, but is great advice for everyone...

'Laugh your heart out
Dance in the rain
Cherish the moment
Ignore the pain
Live, laugh, love
Forgive & forget
Life’s too short to be
Living with regrets'

So now I am ready to take on the challenge to get my life back on track. See you on the other side!

My 7 besties & sis before the Warwick Foundation Ball.


1 comment:

  1. Christina HeffernanJuly 11, 2011 at 11:03 PM

    Thinking of you jacqui. Your such a strong person.xx Tina

    ReplyDelete